Cooking up something new today... (Handheld dynamometer controller)

Any guesses? :upside_down_face:

Mounting block for the ecu?

Not quite!

It’s a remote controller for running engine tests. Paired wirelessly with my “home built” dynamometer, which has been a project all its own. I somehow haven’t mentioned the dyno here before now, but we’ll be seeing a lot more of it soon.

And I’m behind on posting recent updates, so thought I’d share a nice bite-sized bit of progress. I’m calling this thing a “tuning fork”.

The fork acts like a joystick or gamepad, with a pair of 4" slide potentiometers as analog control axis. The left slider controls a servo motor mounted to the throttle. And the right slider controls the load (hydraulic brake valve) up to 28hp. It’s battery powered and wireless like an xbox controller, so I’ll be free to move about.

This thing uses an ESP32 development board with OLED display, WiFi, Bluetooth, and all that good stuff built in. Even accepts an 18650 battery with USB charging. Pretty convenient!

The dyno itself has been on the backburner for a while. I left it behind in the move a few months back, but it’ll be needed very soon for testing engines under various controlled load scenarios. I’ll make a thread about it soon, but here are a few teasers of the dyno build in no particular order :slight_smile:

Data acquisition and hydraulic heater stuff.

So much to do!!

2 Likes

This is so cool Travis!
I’m very exited to see the results with all this efford.
The dynometer is interesting project too mate, I looking for ourchase one for my shop and the prices are very high also.
Congrats for the NANO, can’t whait to have some units to testing and project bikes.

1 Like

Hi M1Racing,

If you have a decent output shaft on your engine and are not interested in a full range dyno chart, a simple and cheap way is to use a wood bar dyno. It consists fo a wooden bar with a square cross section (sharp edges), the length of the square legs are 1/15 of the diameter of the bar.
It is especially useful if you are validating performance modifications as every improvement in engine output increases the engine rpm.
This is a link to the spreadsheet that has the formulas to calculate engine hp. If you need more than max hp, build a few of them to suit your engine (larger ones to load up the engine more).
https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/attachments/wood-bar-dyno-xls.14075/
Here is the link to my engine & testing: http://tipis-ul-engines.mystrikingly.com/
Have fun

2 Likes

First successful print is in. Decided to go with black and blue for fun. :joystick: :smiley: