Frequent question: "Can NanoEFI run my engine?"

Looking at just the ECU itself, your engine is generally compatible if it meets these requirements. This doesn’t take into account other component considerations. Just the ECU.

This is a summarized answer.

Single Cylinder Engines

• Any displacement from 1cc up.
    As far as the ECU is concerned, engine size does not matter. However, usefulness for very small <100cc or comparatively large >650cc engines is up for debate given that it may become challenging to find supporting hardware outside of typical powersports engine size range.

• Must be four-stroke, for now.
    Note on two-stroke compatibility below.

• Must have a 12V charging system.
    Your charging system must capable of at least 2 AMPS stable continuous output. This is on top of what your battery needs for recharging.

• Must have a good battery of sufficient size for starting.
    If your starter motor causes battery voltage to dip below 6.5V while starting, your battery is already too small or too old. You’ll want a higher capacity battery to prevent Under-Voltage Lock Out (UVLO) and ECU reset. This is a feature to prevent glitching and unpredictable internal component behavior at insufficient system voltage.

• Must have a reliable source of crankshaft timing.
    Trigger signals from 6V to maximum of 250V are acceptable. The signal does NOT have to be clean 5v logic and can be quite noisy, thanks to internal software filtering. This allows the use of induction trigger modules from stock CDI systems. And even the kill wire off magneto-based ignitions can be used as timing reference with great reliability.

Note: However “dirty” the signal is, it just has to be reasonably consistent from cycle to cycle so noise can be identified and rejected. More info here.

• Must have an exhaust pipe suitable for installing an O2 sensor.
    A working O2 sensor must be used. Please plan your install accordingly. If the O2 sensor is left disconnected, the ECU will detect this and will not allow the engine to start. External wideband O2 sensors may also be used instead of the included narrowband unit.

Dual Cylinder Engines

Some limited dual cylinder engine configurations will be supported at launch.

Timing for parallel and v-twin dual cylinder engines is already supported in software. However, since NanoEFI has one injector channel you’ll need to be ok utilizing with a single shared manifold/injector. NanoEFI has a single ignition channel, so keep that in mind as well.

Two stroke engines

Two stroke engines are intended to be supported later. This isn’t a hardware issue, just my time.

Important Emissions Note

NanoEFI is NOT designed or intended to defeat control devices on emissions regulated engines.

Do NOT plan any NanoEFI install on emissions regulated engines in a way that would remove or defeat any existing emission control devices!

The purpose of NanoEFI is to replace old carburetors with a new modernized fueling system. NanoEFI adds new modern control devices to older engines (such as an O2 sensor) to originally carbureted engines where no such control device existed previously.

1 Like

Wait does that mean it is available? I have a 06 predator 500 need it to be fuel injected carb causing to many problems

No, not yet.

I’m organizing information here in this section so it’s readily understood what NanoEFI is (and what it isn’t). I’m including some newer info as well, but these posts are mostly to answer the same questions that are asked again and again.

I have additional topics lined up, just juggling (non-injection) orders right now.

Watching this project closely, if you need testers or something let me know (Aprilia Atlantic 200, Piaggio LEADER engine)

Hi @zedooo :wave: welcome and thanks. All spots for testing are filled at this point though. Take a look over at Most Frequently Asked Questions (Ordering, Testing, Timeline) for more info.

Will there be an option to use a MAF sensor?
I have a BMW secondary air pump sensor that is 31mm and flows 70Kg/Hr.
I also have the 256 point flow curve.