Fuel map type?

Having played with various types of fuel injection. Dahler-Chrysler, renix jeep, Chevy TBI, chevy vortec SMPFI, Harley fuel types

The renix system was incredibly advanced in its day, 1987. I am a firm believer that this is one of the best fuel injection systems, Being that it does not use a “map or table” but the entire system is designed to operate at its best at all time, not to emission standards.

Wikipedia article: Renix

In 1991 they changed to the chrysler HO-EFI system. Which is a Fuel map type OBD2 which means the system will only let the ECU change the parameters to a point before it throws a code and drops into limp mode. It is also an EPROM type which isn’t reprogrammable and are closed units requiring custom ECU’s to go above and beyond anything out of range. Such as a turbo.

The chevy systems are very much like the Chrysler system, except they were flash type memory and were programmable with a little know how.

The harley systems and most modern vehicles use Fuel trends since they are all trying to map for emissions. A power type map will be quite different from emissions, because more bang requires more fuel. The map types are easy, in a sense to tune with a dyno and wideband o2 by literally just running endless dyno’s and comparing them.

So my question for you Travis, how will you intend on having the tuning at least for a baseline? Will this account for dynamic load changes, such as pre-detonation, high EGT or head temps on a aircooled bike? Will there be a way to account for high compression? or using special fuels? or even injecting methanol to prevent predet? i know this extends into “high performance” but realistically the possibilities are endless. Flat track bikes run WIDE open the entire time, and they are parallel twins and harley sportsters. Two stroke guys will need to compensate for either an oil pump or mixed fuel and that changes AFR ratio as well as temperatures, premix runs cold at low rpm then will either level out if its mixed enough or will literally melt the piston if its not mixed.

Also, i know you have ability in coding to include say rpm limiters, but will this system also have a kind of timing failsafe, where if the cylinder heads start reaching 350*? (I used to live in the mojave desert in california, and I’ve had my fuel injected harley cut out in bumper to bumper traffic due to over temp)

[Admin edit: Replaced copy-paste with a link to the original source on Wikipedia]

This is the next major chunk of development for us. I had just dipped a toe into control methods back in April/May before changing course into outside work to bring in additional funding. I’m just about ready to get back to it. That, and exploring methods of low-draw fuel pressurization.

Perhaps ironically, my background isn’t in injection. I’m an old carb tuner gone rogue, essentially. I learn as I go along, and have a significant amount of my own research to do before I’ll have a definitive answer for you on this.

Basic state changes based on definable temperature thresholds (whether head or coolant) is implemented now, but needs some refinement in the Airtune GUI. It’ll be done and available for BETA. Cold starts and warm up are the main concerns there.

I’m game for the rest. However, you’re talking advanced features that are fun to geek out over, but the average rider isn’t really going to care about. Development is costly, and I don’t want to make the system more expensive for others (or commit to further blowing out my personal time) to develop features that only a relative few will find useful.

I’m with you. Sadly, my wallet and time aren’t though. As things settle after release (assuming I’m not buried in running the business side of things), it would probably be appropriate for us crowdsource the funding necessary to add these features a-la-carte, directly from guys who want them. If enough cash is pledged to support the job, the votes will be in and we’ll have the green light.

These things are certainly possible, just not possible without time and money. :money_with_wings:

Well, I am an accomplished fuel injection technician, having worked on early mechanical fuel injection to direct injection to forced aspiration with methanol injection. My neighbor was a dirt track stock car and asphalt Legend car driver and together with my dads machine shop turned out incredibly robust and powerful setups.
I am nearly useless when it comes to programming unless your using Factorytalks5000 PLC machine logic. :roll_eyes:
I would be very interested in giving a hand with any part of this project to help bring it to fruition. This has been a dream for me for many years to have a reliable FI system that is easily adaptable with the know how. That is actually a reason I was interested in the XS650 platform. Rock solid dependable simple engine that has the ability to become nearly anything with the tools. I was originally going to go with microsquirt, but the cost and the complexity of that system has kept me from pulling the trigger on a system more readily adapted to full automotive engine that have the real estate to utilize the entire system. The NanoEFI hits every mark for me, I am just trying to grasp the entire scope of the ability. I would support at the B2B level currently, but funds are a little tight until next month. Then i will throw my weight into helping see this become a reality to help further the adaptability and maybe develop a system specific for the engines I want to work with to add to the market.