General Outline - Two Stroke Engine

Hi, completely new to this forum but would like to ask a few questions along with placing my hand up to become a Beta Tester.
I am in the process of constructing a sub two litre land-speed streamliner (re Bonneville type) for a world speed attempt on the sub 2,000cc sidecar speed record.
The engine I plan to fit will be a modified 1.8 litre (1,800cc) Suzuki DT115 four cylinder, two stroke outboard unit, vintage 1987.

With LOTS of luck I should be able to run the completed unit in March 2022 at Lake Gairdner in South Australia, which has a world accredited speed trial track (Salt flats where Donald Campbell run the Bluebird)

I think that the NanoEFI Master Control Unit has been designed around a four stroke engine? As in my brief trawl through the site it seems to mention only firing sequences (degrees) that suit a four stroke?

In order to run a two stroke one would require sequences of 360 total degree and individual values of an even degree rotation of 360 i.e 90, 120 or 180 (whole numbers).

It would also would be desirable that the MCU could handle or via a relay/transistor be able to fire a 60+Volts petrol injector similar to the E-TEC/Ficht type injector.

This injector is a High Pressure type which allows fuel to be injected/fired onto the piston crown AFTER THE PISTON HAS JUST CLOSED THE EXHAUST PORT ON ITS UPWARD (COMPRESSION) STROKE.

Being able to do this allows the two stroke engine to have similar asymmetrical port timing (along with a reed or rotary intake valve).
Asymmetrical timing definitely places the two stroke on an even or far better footing than a four stroke in power and emission and gives a less complicated intake/exhaust control system i.e. no valve seats, cams, springs etc.

The added benefit is that using a E-TEC type injector adds to the power and emission from a Turbocharged two stroke engine.

Thoughts?

Very interesting and fun project! We did some Bonneville engines years ago using Yamaha 2T twins of various sizes. (plus one 500cc 4) None injected, of course.
The E-tec injectors are like an injector/hp pump? Nice. Easy to play with rail and individual pressures?
I have not seen Travis’s interface, but am guessing that the controller should be able to near any ignition firing sequence. A COP setup, (Coil-on-plug) might make the ignition a bunch easier with the MCU…most today are “smart” coils with internal igniter. (3 wire)
The 60 volts is a different story. I will have to look at my '89 Yamaha outboard schematic. It has never broken, so never looked! It too, has E-Tec style injectors. I will be interested to see what comes of this.
Good luck!

Hi Jay, thanks for the reply - the E-TEC injectors I was viewing came out of an Evinrude but your Yamaha will be the same 64/66 Volts supply.

I think that the E-TEC/Ficht injector system is a superior system - It was invented by Wolfgang Heimberg, a East German who originally envisaged the units going into of all things a Trabant, East German plastic car powered by a two cylinder two stroke engine.

A sports Trabant was one that had a pair of sneakers/runners on the back seat!!! OMC bought the rights and then Bombardier who bought OMC.

You are correct in your description of the E-TEC system it is the electrical equivalent of the mechanical injector system that Cummins utilise i.e. low pressure circulation pump and the Injector is a high pressure unit fired via the camshaft and third rocker arm where as the E-TEC is fired via a solenoid to generate fuel pressure/spray pattern, hence high Volts.

The Orbital/KTM injector system almost seems like a “Stumbling scenario” where the initial idea lacked something and they kept adding to it i.e. the compressed air and the placement of the injector in the transfer port.

I know why they went that way - low Volts otherwise they would have batteries or a heavy flywheel generator to come up with 60+ Volts - either way it would detract from a Motocross bike and the Dutch/Germans hate that!!!.

So they sacrificed and soldiered on with the low pressure system and tell everyone that it was purpose designed, I wonder???

Good advice re the coil that is the smart way Thanks - Talk again soon Phil

Hi again Phil. I have a zillion questions, but might be better for this forum to take them private. Many related to your project and not necessarily the NanoEFI.
Just for kicks…I never made the 200 club at Bonneville…194+ on 2 wheels is my best. No road rash.
Try me at j.hardy7@protonmail.com