Paramotor, 80cc to 200cc 2 stroke (and sometimes 4 stroke)

Was researching EFI for paramotors and found your site. looks to be the perfect form factor for these small engines. There is an EFI kit for the moster 185 out there from Kicas Engineering. It is based off of the Ecotrons paramotor kit.

Better fuel economy, and ability to adapt to higher altitudes makes an EFI system for a paramotor look good.

[ Admin edit: External links in a member’s first post removed. It’s fine to reference though. Thanks for understanding. ]

Welcome to the forum, @primalflight.

I’d definitely agree with that. Do you have a particular engine in mind? The biggest factor in fitting a carbureted system with a fuel injection kit is fuel pump power at idle. Smaller engines tend to have smaller alternators, so that leaves less wiggle room to get sufficient power to run the fuel pump.

If you haven’t selected a powerplant yet, keep in mind that excess generator output at idle is a key factor for EFI conversion.

If you have selected a powerplant for your project (or have an existing machine), if you can share any electrical schematics and specifications, that’ll help @TravisNano get a handle on how to help fit nano to your project.

1 Like

Hi @primalflight, welcome! :wave:

I’d love to hear more from paramotoring enthusiasts. @takophiliac is right, the most immediate obstacle I can see would be working out a good solution for pressurizing the fuel for injection. Pretty much the same story as most small engines, but I imagine more so for paramotor applications due to the need to keep weight down. Retrofitting a big stator/rotor for increased output might not be the best solution.

If you’re inclined to do so, feel free to invite any other paramotor guys you know who may be interested in NanoEFI. We can start to build up up a good well-rounded idea of your needs from a technical perspective.

Sorry about the link thing…didn’t realize that. people can search the names I posted for the links if they want.

The Kicas kit is for the Vitorazzi Moster 185, which is one of the most common motors (at least in the US). I fly with an EOS 150, which is similar in power, but higher revving. practically ALL these motors use a version of the walbro 37 carb.

Electrical power is a major hurdle. Very few paramotor motors have a generator system built in.The KICAS kit used a 3 phase permanent magnet brushless motor pushed up against the belt drive that goes from the crank to the prop. This has to be sized correctly to not over power the regulator attached to it. There was also a battery in the system, as at idle, the clutch prevents the prop from spinning.

I am planning on experimenting with a wind generator system. Aircraft spruce sells something like it for small airplanes that do not have an electrical system, but it is a little overkill for paramotors. Basically it is a 3 phase permanent magnet motor connected to a regulator with a prop on it and the airspeed spins the motor. This makes it easy to vary the power output as you just adjust the pitch or diameter of the prop… Some wind power regulators will also electrically brake the prop when the battery it is attached to is full, so that helps to not over power it.

I posted the question in the paramotor facebook group about the ecotrons kit. not sure if you can see it, but there was lots of good info there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/paramotor/permalink/3285134098206252/

I will post a link to this conversation too. Maybe some of the guys will chime in.